Austin's amazing, Fantastic Blog

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Sunday at Thomas Road Baptist Church

Well this year is Thomas Road Baptist Church's 50 year anniversary and to commemorate the church's anniversary and July 4 there was a huge celebration with thousands in attendance on Sunday. Sunday was also the church's grand opening of their brand new church facilities which includes a 6, 000 seat sanctuary! The festivities started at 2:00 with rides for the kids, food vendors, and tours of the new church which is adjacent to Liberty University. At 7:00 the church's patriotic service started with special gospel music guests such as Charles Billingsly and Guy Penrod. Senator George Allen was also a special guest in which I was able to meet. I asked him if he planned on running for president in 2008 and his answer was that he had to win the election for the Senate first. It is rumored that he might run though. I would love to see him kick Hillary Clinton's butt! Actually it would be even better to see Condoleezza Rice kick Hillary's butt, but we will see.

Ok to continue... other special guests, President Bush...wait did I say President Bush? Thats right! President Bush showed up at my old church's 4th of July celebration! Well even though our Pastor does know the president it was only an impersonator. They really did trick everybody though! This presidential parade of cars pulls into the stadium, they announce the president and the crowd goes crazy! This guy looks and sounds so much like George Bush. He is good but after a few sentences I knew it wasn't him. Well after Bush they had more music and then a message from Jerry Falwell. Then... the fireworks and let me tell you it was incredible! It really was a great display of fireworks. I will not tell you how much I heard it cost.

All in all it was a great day. I ran into so many old friends including one high school friend Isaiah who is married with a one year old baby that I didn't know about! I am starting to feel very old.

11 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have to agree that the fireworks were pretty awesome being shot from the mountain! The finale could've been better, but I think we're somewhat spoiled. lol All in all, it was a fab-u-lous day! So glad we were able to be together as a family.

     
  • At 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is a great photo of you and Senator Allen. Although, he's so tall, he makes you look like a small fry! lol

     
  • At 3:08 AM , Blogger Ineke said...

    Thanks for the card(s) Austin for Morten & I.
    And did you run it thru a translator or are you really picking up Dutch?

     
  • At 3:44 PM , Blogger Austin said...

    Oh, unfortunately I ran it through a translator. I have not even had the time lately to even look at Dutch. I can basically say hello, good morning/afternoon/evening. I will need definite help with the pronunciations. Dutch words seem a lot longer and different than English. Glad you got the cards though.

     
  • At 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Let me get this straight. You were HERE last week and didn't TELL me? You need a SMACK!

    -Ri

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Austin said...

    Slap em!

     
  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger Ineke said...

    Austin, just to let you know we're about to go on vacation and will be back Friday August 4.
    You probably send it to me allready, but pls let me know what exact time you'll arrive August 7.
    Ofcourse we'll be there to pick you up !!
    Hope you have a nice time at your parents place for now and speak to you soon!

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger Austin said...

    Hey Dutchie,
    I just sent you an email but in case you don't get it here is my itenerary.
    See you on the 7th at 7:00 AM.
    Washington Dulles (IAD) to Amsterdam Netherlands (AMS) Sun, Aug 6

    United Airlines 0946

    Confirmed

    Aug 06 05:33 PM depart IAD
    Aug 07 07:00 AM arrival AMS

     
  • At 2:05 PM , Blogger Austin said...

    Are you going to check email on vacation?

     
  • At 2:48 PM , Blogger Ineke said...

    i can't reach my mail but like you noticed, i do from time to time check the blogs

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home