Austin's amazing, Fantastic Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2006

I made it!

Its so hard to believe that I have been here in the Netherlands 4 whole days now! Well I have been having a blast and the family I am living with/working for is great and very hospitable. My flight ended up being delayed two hours and Ineke didn't get my phone message so she showed up at the airport with teh kids at 7:00 AM sharp. Well I didn't make it there and through customs until like 9:30! I was a little tired the first day as I do not sleep on planes but I managed to only lay down for a 20 minute nap the whole day. On the second day we went on a driving tour of parts of Rotterdam, which is a very cool modern city might I add, and later that day we went on a biking tour to an old part of the city where the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Rock left from on their way to America. (FYI they left from Rotterdam, sailed to England to get the Mayflower and then to America) Tuesday evening, I think, the boys had swimming lessons which lasted a few hours. Wednesday we went to the Euromast which is very tall tower with an elevator to the top and a restaraunt at the top which we ate lunch at. The boys were participating in a kids activity there. Timo, the youngest boy, won first prize for the best creation of Knex (don't know if it's spelled right). If you get the chance google the Euromast for pictures. Today we went to the maritime museum which was an awesome museum about shipping and boats in Rotterdam. Rotterdam used to be the main port for the Dutch/America line in which many immigrants used to come to America. Then we ate at a very cool pan cake house in a large park. It was a very Hansel and Gretel looking house with great pan cakes. Sorry I can't post pics yet but I am waiting for a password so that I can sign my laptop into the wireless system here at the house. I will post them when I get the chance.

So all in all it has been a great first few days and the kids and I are getting along well. I need to learn Dutch fast though so please pray for me. They seem to understand me at times but I want to understand them well and to be able to speak in their language. Well got to run, later guys.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Austin!!........congratulations on your successful flight and landing in......dun dun dun Amsterdam! Did you take Dr. Scholl's pads for the wooden shoes? I'll be the pancakes are awesome...sounds like a dutch restaurant in my hometown called "Valhalla"....such great food and they even had a little rack with booklets for the birthday years, like, "1980: A great year!" I miss that place.
    Take care and post pictures soon! We miss you.....happy times and God's favor be with you...Anna

     
  • At 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Austin,

    I've been on vacation with Ashley (my old roomie from Liberty-you met her (she's the tall blond), touring around San Diego and am now playing catch-up with my email and your blog: sounds like the concert was a blast and Ineke looked like a fun person. Hope you're getting comfy and adventerous in Rotterdam. Have lots of fun and blog all about it so I can mentally escape from the desk job from time to time!

    Cheers,

    Alex

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger James said...

    Great to finally see an update. Looking forward to more!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home