Austin's amazing, Fantastic Blog

Friday, January 12, 2007

Driving Miss Daisy

Well today I drove the kids to school with Mase (the mother) for the first time. First off let me say that’s driving in a foreign country is definitely an expereince every driver should have. I did drive when I lived in Ecuador and that is where I learned to drive with a stick shift and I am sure that I gave the missionaries there a few near heart attacks. Today was not so bad but there were a few mistakes and with my luck they all took place right outside of the school! First I tried to Parallel Park the van as most parking in the city is parallel. This was not a success as the spaces in my opinion are made for small cars. So we decided to drive around the block and park on street behind the school where there is regular parking. Well that’s when I had the bright inclination to go down a one way street the wrong way! I wish you could have seen the look on Mase's face and then on the onlookers faces as we proceeded try to make it to the end of the street of course pulling to the side a few times to let cars and bikers by. Of course when I get nervous like in situations like these I tend to stall out so I did that a few times as well. So we made it out of there and into a normal parking space, thank God! The rest of the driving went pretty well I thought.

So all in all things are going well with the new family. The kids seem to like me and we are having fun times playing games and just hanging out together. Today is Friday and that means McDonalds for dinner or so I have been told, yippee! I am also learning that there are preferred nationalities when it comes to having au pairs. Unfortunately Americans are not ranking as high as we are spoiled and do not want to work very hard at cleaning and such. Philippino girls don't rank high but we will not talk about why. Polish girls rank very high apparently as they work hard and are ok taking orders and such. So I am here to prove all of the negative thoughts towards Americans all wrong. Pray for me and wish me luck.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    are filipina au pairs not popular because they 'steal ' host dads? i've always wondered about that, especially since filipinas are willing to do lots more housework for less/no extra pay.

    it's unfair but there is so much prejudice (for example, my host family..or rather my ex host family wouldn't hire eastern european au pairs because my host mum's friend had an agency and they had lots of complains regarding polish au pairs stealing money) and that native English speakers (especially the Brits) get paid so much more!

    p/s: i found your blog via abigail's blog (which i found through google) and abigail's lead me to her host mum and then to yours...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home