Austin's amazing, Fantastic Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My Day off, a visit to Delft, and my first proposition from a prostitute!

Well today was my day off so I decided to get out of Rotterdam for the afternoon and see something new (at least for me). So I asked Ineke for a recommendation and she and Robbert sent me on my way (by bike) to Delft, a very old and historical city. It was somewhere between 15-18 Kilometers to Delft which is about 10 miles or so. Driving into the city I was kind of going, ok, what's special about this city? Then I followed the signs and people to the Markt (market) which is the old cented of Delft. Coming into this part of the city was so beautiful! Old canals mixed with old buildings and cafe's brought the city a charm that can only be described as enchanting. In the markt were shops, cafe's, a huge church, and the old city hall. I ate lunch there at an outdoor cafe (Dutch Crokettes and fries with a 7Up) and then explored the shops and town a bit.
Ok now onto the exciting part of the day! My first proposition by a prostitute! On the way out of Delft I really had to use the bathroom! So I spotted a McDonalds and thought back to all those old family trips where we would stop at McDonalds just to use the bathroom! Just before I could get into the restaurant a man approached me and said, "Hey" so I replied "yes?" Realizing that I was not speaking Dutch he said "what do you speak, do you speak Dutch?" I said, "no English" Then he said, "oh!" and turned to these two girls and said, "English!" Then he pointed to the girls and was like, "Ehh, Ehh?" One girl immediately replied, "oh, English!" The other girl was like, "Ahh! Irish!" I immediately realized what was going on, I was being propositioned by a pimp and his prostitutes! I could not believe it! In broad day light outside of McDonalds in Delft! Now I woudl not be as suprised to be propositioned in the larger cities like Amsterdam, or even in certain areas of Rotterdam but Delft! Outside of Micky Dee's! "Would you like a prostitute with that? Err... I mean ...would you like fries with that?" Well I thought the whole experience was quite humorous, especially the girl who was like, "oh! Irish!". I mean, I was wearing a green running jacket and I do have those rosy red cheeks, but seriously where did that thought come from?
Well all in all it was a fun and relaxing day off.

12 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Ineke said...

    Oh boy.
    This will make all those "i might come and visit you" people actually do it.
    Guys, we've got one spare room and the rest of you will have to share Austins room.

    Apart from that; the chances of being offered a prostitute are way smaller than being offered some hash.

    Oh boy.
    I might as well start doing the bed.

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Blogger Austin said...

    Just to clarify the situation... I did turn down the prostitute!

     
  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger James said...

    You should have asked to see the Dollar menu.

     
  • At 3:58 AM , Blogger Austin said...

    Well I don't think they have a $1.00 menu here, but maybe the value menu woudl have worked.

     
  • At 7:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I Think they may hang out at McDonalds looking for a BIG MAC!for themself. By the way do they sell Fun Meals?

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger James said...

    Wait... when you said value menu were we still talking about the hooker, or did we switch to something else?

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I swear...I don't know these guys!!!

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Austin said...

    Ok... I didn't mean for this to go so far with all the inuindos. Please no more before I get sick.

     
  • At 12:15 PM , Blogger princessoctober said...

    Man o Man....Being from the USA..Do you think the pimp would have been mad when I wanted some pictures to " show the folks back home". My family has a weird thing about taking pictures of these type of situations..most people are usually friendly and let us take pics..My brothers fame pic is of a bum in New York City when he went to visit. My mom has a pic of the Governor of NM in a bar drinking with her and her BF. So, far I haven't got anything really interesting..so situations like this make me think of how hilrarious it would have been to have a pic of 2 prostitutes and a pimp under the Mc D's sign..LOL

     
  • At 3:44 PM , Blogger James said...

    I have such a great followup to that last comment, but I'll keep it to myself.

     
  • At 5:06 PM , Blogger Austin said...

    Yeah,
    I did wish afterwards that I would have taken a pic for the blog, maybe next time, cause chances are there actually might be a next time here, lol!

     
  • At 2:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for sharing your daily activities with us all! What a laugh we had over the prostitute proposition at Mickey Dee's!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home